Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Adapt

Drunken train of thought from a few days ago:

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Bruce Lee said that. It laid in my head somewhat differently then its existence on the quote websites, but the idea has been phrased by him for me for years. Its always been an interesting debate for me. Water becomes what is around it. Water takes the path of least resistance. Water adapts. But it can also crash like a motherfucker.

Should we?

Tonight, for the first time, I tied this metaphor to the fact that we are 70 or 80% water. Interesting. Just a metaphor still, but it IS in our nature to adapt. We can live in a cubicle and we can live in a jungle. Humans are the most adaptive beings on the planet, we can live anywhere, we can do anything.

But we are also the most self-aware being on this planet. We are able to recognize our deepest goals and how we differ from the other 6 billion humans. Actually this differntiation is one of the deepest goals. We need to believe we are different, we are unique, we should not adapt. Fuck that teapot, I'm better than it, why should I become it.

Personally, I find myself quite adaptive lately. Last night, at a party in Gainesville, watching the Gators play some team, I was a UF fan. Before that, I was obsessed with marketing research. Last weekend, I was really into the University of Michigan, research on preference, and alternatively, scholarly pursuits and doing stupid shit while wearing green. It was fun.

Today I've been myself. And while it may have kept me from swimming in my hotel pool right now with the contents of one of the many sun-dresses I have been surrounded with, it's been right.

There are times to adapt, and evolution has lead us to find ease and solice in this tendency. We must, at the very least, chose what to adapt to. We must face this decision head on, and we must do it alone, because that is the only time when we're only adapting to the rarity of being ourselves.

We should be ourselves, but we become old the day we can no longer adapt.

5 comments:

DEE said...

WHAT THE FUCK???

I take a few months off, push a softball out my cooch, and this is what I get??? Elbowed out of the contributors list??!!??

Things:
1.) I'm not convinced that Rob knows exactly what the clap is.
2.) Weird that Jake must wear a suit to gain admission into a community that wears lab coats.
3.) I have awesome mindless pictures of Sean's huge butt, and this fresh new blog was going to get a sneak preview, but since I got the BOOT, I can't show off my blog killer's highly-predictable a-hole cushions. This party is BUNK!

The Cheese said...

Nice work on the back-to-back post Rubb, liked the second one alot. Here's an interesting lokk at becoming water and crashing:

http://www.foxreno.com/news/10788783/detail.html


Dee--I think you got the boot because the blog was switched to the "new" blog. I'm pretty sure it was nothing personal.

Anonymous said...

I like how you use the words "cooch" and "a-hole cushions!"

Anonymous said...

Ah! The life source; Water is a wily bastard. I am going to be livid if that radio station mentioned in Insoluble Anus' post gets sued. It is absolutely insane that they are trying to redirect the blame from the stupid white-trash bitch-whore of a mother that went on a radio station and drank 2 gallons of fuckin' water! Thank the lord that she can no longer bring the rest of the United States down with the societal weight of her huge ass. Granted I'm not going to do any follow up research so I will never know the outcome.

Bubb Rubb said...

Dee: I know more about the clap than any of us would like to admit. You just have to start an account with the new blogger, should be very easy.

Go team