Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Kill your TV

I've come to the realization that nine out of every ten books that I read are only mildly interesting and easily forgotten. Sure they are usually well written, but good prose can only take you so far. I'd like to think that its my superior intelligence that causes my disinterest in said books. However, better sense dictates that I'm probably just picking the wrong books. In light of this revelation I am providing a list of books that I have discovered to be not only profound and insightful, but deeply enigmatic as well. I hope they save you the frustration that comes with trial and error. Anyway here goes(in order of favoritism):

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Siddartha by Herman Hesse(thanks again Rob)
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Petals of Blood by Ngugi wa Thiong'o
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Replay by Ken Grimwood
Slaughter House Five/Cat's Cradle both by Kurt Vonnegut
Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lost Horizon by James Hilton
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair


I hope this helps someone and I'd love to know what you guys are reading.

4 comments:

K-Snake said...

Dee: Great list. I haven't read Jitterbug Perfume, but I really liked Still Life with Woodpecker, if you haven't read that. And Vonnegut's Welcome to the Monkey House is something I always wanted to read again. I haven't read The Idiot, but Crime and Punishment is, no shit, the most suspenseful book I've ever read. We just got done with Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and it was OK, she's famous for The Handmaid's Tale and maybe that's better. We're getting ready to read What's the Matter with Kansas? by Frank Thomas (I think) and we'll let you know if its any good. We're running out of ideas for book club so thank you, your list helps a lot. May I add 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Some people don't like it but I swear its like looking at a surrealist painting, its an amazing book.

The Cheese said...

It seems we have the same taste in books. I also loved Still life, but Jitterbug Perfume is way better. I wasn't a big fan of The Handmaid's Tale, but it was more geared towards women. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really looking forward to Crime and Punishment. I have a ton more suggestions if you need them for your book club.

The Cheese said...

We have surprisingly similar tastes in fiction. I liked Still Life alot, but Jitterbug Perfume is way better. I read Handmaids Tale, it was good but I wasn't exactly enamored with it. Thanks for the suggestions-I was actually thinking of reading Crime and Punishment. Also, if you're into Vonnegut, Timequake is pretty good too.

The Cheese said...

Let's see if I can do this again. Boy, it seems we the same taste in fiction. Blah, blah, blah. I am a big fat stoner who can't figure this internet thing out. Jitterbug perfume yada yada yada. I think my dog would have more success with computers than me. Pay no attention to anything I say. Dipshit over and out.