Thursday, August 25, 2005

The state of things

Achtung!! Non-humorous post.
I am sure there among you there is a colloquial sense that the state of things in the Western World if not all of the First World countries are in bad repair. I am sure there are hundreds of topics to hit on (politics, famine, well-being, etc.) The one that hit me most today was creativity. I was watching MTV trying to listen to the lyrics and formations of the songs, and it was all completely thoughtless not an ounce of creativity involved. All seemingly required is to be good looking, rich, and hyper-egoist. So I tried CMT, and to no prevail, I came up with the same thing. Good-lookin' dudes and chicks singing the sappiest shit I've ever heard. Each song took me to a new low in musical individualism and creativity. I was very disturbed after some thought to realize creativity seems lost. There are true artists out there, but nobody's buying their records, art, literature, or poetry. They pass under the radar going noticed only so often. Will there be any poets from our lifetime? Any great novelists, that will change thought and set new forms of morality and judgment? Is there life beyond pop, or pop-rap hoes n bitches? There was a time when those being true individuals in expression, were actually being compensated for their struggles. When Dali was alive he was revered and payed great sums of money for his work, Dylan had to struggle to get out of the lime-lite, Andy Warhol gathered elite artisans from around the world for extravagant albeit weird soirees. We are rewarding the wrong things: money, bitches, hoes, tits, n' shit. Even scientists who are at the forefront of developing our new lifestyles are going un-noticed. There are probably folks out there who are as intelligible as Einstein but nobody would care unless Paris Hilton endorsed his logo. Its only getting worse too, celebrities are only getting more and more powerful and less and less talented...I just threw up on my keyboard. love Jake

2 comments:

Bubb Rubb said...

I enjoy a good serious post. huzzah

I agree that it is getting worse, but hope that we'll reach a breaking point. But we won't.

You turned on MTV to seek inspiration?

It's not quite fair, but I am in the middle of discontinuing a relationship because the girl listens to Justin Timberlake etc.

It's quite lucky that at the same time the mainstream completely dried out of intelligent music, we are granted a way to get music for free, and in large quantities.

It's not only the lack of creativity, but the negativity. especially iun the rap workd, which i love, it really seems like they do it on purpose...flooding the market with the dumbest, untalented, morally depleted thugs they can find.

Anonymous said...

There is this one old black man named Junior Kimbrough whom plays in this dimmly lit, barely standing Juke Joint, however, it looks much more like the slaves quarters on a plantation. He plays somewhere in rural Mississippi. I saw it on this documentary called Deep Blues not long ago. I had an epiphany when I saw it. He is this toothless old guy with a rusty beat up old guitar, and it was the way he was perched like a demon in the corner that got me. He sat sneakily behind the drums, his whole body being swallowed by the shadows. His head pierced the light only to reveal a toothless mouth and and two red wandering eyes, staring not at anyone or anyting but at the space in between. His guitar was of a form I had never heard before, I don't think he could have played any other instrument 'cept the cursed one he was playing. He was frightening and beautiful at the same time. It may have been the mushrooms talking...I don't know. Since, I think he has gained popularity in some respect, so I recommend downloading anything from him and Son House, I urge. Don't be fooled by the term Blues it is a term that is jaded and has lost its true meaning. It is not as happy, poppy, and as clean as most people commonly know it. I will write a dissertation on this at some point in the future.