Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Summer of Bubb

I'm making a resolution. Two and a half weeks without drinking. Sometime in the middle of that, a fast, with some days of just a fruit or dee concoction and maybe 2 of just water in there.

I wanted to make that public so I didn't back out. Starting after this weekend, no alcohol until July. I think it will be interesting. I've gotten a bit habitual in my recreation and thinking this might force me to mix it up a bit. I hope to do things in the name of fun besides just going to a bar, and when i do end up at the bar to try a little harder to make it interesting instead of just silence the restlessness. I keep going back and forth between thinking it will be very difficult and thinking it will be too easy. We'll see.

I'm really hoping I don't just spend all that extra time getting high and watching movies. Most of the reason the timing is perfect for this right now is because I don't really have anything to do socially over the next few weeks, and I'll need to avoid just doing nothing. The goal here is alternative recreation. I think I can handle it. Although going to bars alone, which will probably come up, is even weirder when you're not drinking. fuck. solo camping maybe? fuck yeah, all that shit. going to the horse track, finding a lake michigan beach, building something, random acquaintances, seize the day. yeah. it's not just fast month, it's alternative recreation month. suggestions?

What I'm really after, frankly, is to pass the time with furious, no-holds-barred pacing back and forth in my apartment. And when I want to get really wild, I'll throw in some thumb twiddling and angry mumbling. Then I'll blog it all out.

5 comments:

The Cheese said...

Take the opportunity to learn something new.

Ideas: learn how to pickle, brew your own beer and wait till its ready before you drink again, write letters to people, invent new sandwiches, write a short story in the second person.

Or you could go to a random wikipedia page and become a "buff" on the subject and report back to the blog about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Randompage

K-Snake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K-Snake said...

That last paragraph sounds an awful lot like Kyle.

Whipit, Jay Jay Face said...

when i get restless i search pandora for something ive never heard, then i get good at something. quarters was one. juggling and other coordination tricks was one. beer pong was one. i filled a cup with water, then threw balls at it till i got too frustrated or didn't miss for a wihle, then picked up juggling balls and practised till my arms got sore. it had less to do with entertainment and more about practice. like id look over at something that was sitting out and be like, "alright. you wont be good unless you can do it anytime." then id get up and force myself to do it.

I also get stoned and play addicting games till 2 am on a regular basis though. probably shoudnt be giving advice on how to stay occupied. although the learning tricks thing is cool cuz now im good at alot of strange things. like beating off in public areas. all it takes is practise.

Whipit, Jay Jay Face said...

right now im forcing myself to play drums(congos, cuz thats all i have) and learn poi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdHXnhrUV1w&feature=channel) .slow going on the poi front, but its going, and its a hell of alot better than tv, especially when you do a trick smoothly for the first time.