Friday, May 08, 2009

A train of thought about pursuits

I need something awesome to do. It should be enjoyable and worthwhile. Ideally there is some creativity to it, but ideally this creativity is not fully mental.

If I had my ideal, it would definitely be the ol' write a book. Tough to embrace that goal after 9 hours of reading though. Keep looking.

Musical instrument would score high in the worthwhile dimension. I don't have a lot of music in me, but something to try. Sax is too loud. Harmonica is nice and portable. Talking drum. yeahhhh.

I need a hookah and a talking drum. Then i'll be beat cool, which isn't bad.

I should make something. An instrument would be nice. I'll go to that scrap box place and see if I get any ideas there. What else would be a good creation... Picture frame. Nintendo games holder. Anal intruder.

Meditation is a good one, but not something I'll really be able to look forward to or be excited to take a night off for.

I could recontinue my pursuit of homeless-guy-wisdom. Sure.

Social games like the rejection contest is a good one. Kinda need a partner in crime for that though. Do I know anyone that would be down for that type of thing here? Could do it long distance with one of the cousins I suppose. Then write the experiences, maybe make a blog and eventually a novel... nice. Sp what other social games would be cool? Unrequited staring contests. The bad pick-up line challenge. Lying to strangers kind be amusing, but unlikely to lead to a whole lot of social wisdom. Same goes for things like, only speak in questions, fake accent day, etc. Maybe a bar crawl where I have to get in a conversation with the first person i see at every bar.

I could write a book where I go up to 1000 random people and say, "give me some wisdom"

Urban Survival was always pretty appealing. I could adapt it by having people drop me off in random places with no money, and see how long it takes me to complete 5 challenges. Like an urban scavenger hunt. Yeah, urban scavenger hunt! Hard to do that for just a few hours on some weekday night though. I'm straying from me goal here.

I could decorate my walls somehow. Paint? post-its with thoughts on them? That would be kinda creepy. Cool too though. I could just draw little designs with a fine tipped sharpie. Not bad.

I wish I could draw. Writing comic strips for student newspaper would be pretty sweet. I could use photoshop or something I guess. Too much computer staring already though.

What other cool physical things could I make in my apartment? Sewing? I wonder if I could make a tiny pinball game. Legos? Widdling has the advantages of knives but the disadvantage of woodchips. I could combine body parts of different stuffed animals into hybrid stuffed animals and perform sick stuffed animal genetic experiments. Good one. Not sure what I'd do with the stuffed animal mutants though. Ebay? I think this is the best idea yet. Might as well throw some numbered certificates of authenticity in there. what else... I could make one of those marble games where you turn nobs and avoid obstacles. Nice. I wonder if I could get all the parts of a watch shipped and then make that. Would need some tiny tools though.

I could invent some sort of dart game against myself. Kinda depressing though. Being a badass at darts would be nice I guess. Inventing a board game is a good one. Perhaps a mixture of "would you rather" and "rock-em sock-em robots."

Cooking would be nice and worthwhile. Only worth doing before meals though, which is no good. Unless I cooked some sort of beverage.... I could make my own tea blends...

I'll check this out tomorrow and see what still makes sense.

6 comments:

Bubb Rubb said...

There might be some interesting psychology behind this. One of my favorite research papers I've read is a theoretical paper describing a concept of the "extended self." Basically saying that your self-concept goes beyond just you, it also includes relationships, activities, even owned objects. He spends a lot of time discussing anecdotal evidence for this, which includes the interesting finding that when someone loses a limb, they become more creative. If you lose one part of your extended self, you develop a drive to extend your self in another way.

The Rob and Angela aspect of me no longer exists, and there's a chance it will be replaced with a Rob and the practice of combining stuffed animal parts aspect

K-Snake said...

Looks like you've already decided - blog it out. I want you standing, punching the air, shirtless and sweaty, and blogging it all out.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to take a day and make paper mache casts of my limbs and face. Like a dozen or more and mount them on a wall. Arms protruding from the wall, big thumbs up hat rack, or finger pointing key holder. I've actually gotten close to doing this before but as of now it still remains just a dream.

The game you were thinking of is called labyrinth. One of my favorites.

I am currently searching for a giant dry erase board to hang in my apartment. I want to make my brainstorming more productive. webs.

Don't blog it out

K-Snake said...

Three words: (1) Blog (2) it (3) out.

Or body build, or learn to cook.

Whipit, Jay Jay Face said...

i say learn a bunch of stuff. throw 30 darts, then sew together some crazy mutant stuffed animals(im picturing a gorilla body with duck feet, bird arms, and a bear paw for a head. then you could take the gorrilla head and just sew it onto the back of another, untampered, animal so its head will be some sort of weird growth. and viola, 2 mutant stuffed animals you could hang from a noose out of your window. to scare away the freshman. then eventually you could have 20 or 30 of those little bastards hanging and people would know about them, so you could start leaving weird mutant suffed animals at people's houses and they would know it was the crazy stuffed animaly guy. Or you could only leave them on porches with weird notes like "meat" or...


YOU, IF YOU PULL THAT SHIT AGAIN.

<------



with the arrow pointing at a human arm coming out of a elephants ass.


i like the mutant stuffed animal idea. lots of potential.

Whipit, Jay Jay Face said...

oh yea, before i put that first parenthesis that i never came out of, I was going to say something along the lines of throw some darts, sew an animal together, then learn to make a hemp necklace or other piece of something, then do the next thing you think of. It makes more sence to me to have a list of stuff and just bounce around till one gets most of your attention.