Sunday, March 22, 2009

Wait

I've become totally obsessed with Tom Waits (again). Dee's response to this news: "oh, no."

I'm diving deeper into the catalog this time 'round, but my favorites at the moment are Closing Time (for his meloncholy), Nighthawks at the Diner (for his diner lounge side), and Rain Dogs (for his quirky)...if you make it through this one, and like it, you'll find the last song to be amongst the greatest album closers ever. Right up there with The End from The Doors first album...he kind of has that same hypnotic lead-man thing going on actually here.

And in related news, more nipples.

3 comments:

The Cheese said...

Haven't heard his music in awhile, except for Sunday when I was in a hipster bar and some tattooed chick kept playing him over and over again until we decided to leave. Honestly I don't get it. I like his song writing but he sounds like a chain smoking vacuum cleaner that has a team of bullfrogs running the motor.

K-Snake said...

Uncontrolled Waits in your face is not going to make the best impression. It needs to be slow and delicate; you must ease into Waits like a new lover.

But, yes, he has a vacuum voice. Mostly I like him for his unique song arrangements and such; voice is hit or miss. He's a pretty decent actor too.

Anonymous said...

I just did some youtubin and I likes what I see. I recognized the going out west song from fight club and liked that. There was another one too but I don't remember the name, similar ilk though. I think his voice sounds like my sex.